Mr. James A. Merrill, Board President, has been a member of the Ocean View School District (OVSD) Governing Board since November 2000. As a Board member, Mr. Merrill has attended various trainings and conferences sponsored by the California School Boards Association (CSBA), and has completed the Masters in Governance program.
Prior to his service as a Board member, he served in a variety of offices in the Tierra Vista Neighborhood Council, including three years as chair before joining the OVSD Board. As a Neighborhood Council chair, Mr. Merrill was very active in the City of Oxnard’s Inter-Neighborhood Council Forum. He dedicated a leave of absence from his employment at Oxnard College to chair the Ocean View School District’s successful “Measure N” bond campaign in 1997.
In May, 2017, Mr. Merrill retired as professor of English and English as a Second Language at Oxnard College, where he taught since 1980. He was also the longtime Chair of the college’s Letters Department.
A resident of Oxnard since 1980 and of the Ocean View School District since 1986, Mr. Merrill appreciates the opportunity to contribute to the community in which he lives and where his children attended school.
(Term 12/10/2020 - 12/10/2024)
Stephanie Hammer, Board Clerk
On February 8, 2022, Stephanie B. Hammer became the newest Governing Board member. Stephanie is a lifelong resident of Oxnard and has resided in the Ocean View School District area for over 30 years. She graduated with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Liberal Arts, as well as a Master of Arts in Educational Administration, from California State University Northridge. In 2020, she retired from the Oxnard School District after a long and fulfilling teaching career. Along with teaching, she held many positions working alongside teachers and helping schools increase student achievement. Stephanie is excited to continue her involvement in education and supporting the students, staff, and community of the Ocean View School District.
Stephen R. Marshall, Board Member
On June 25, 2019, Stephen R. Marshall, joined the Governing Board of Ocean View School District. Steve is a graduate from Hueneme High School and has a bachelor's degree in accounting from California State University Northridge. He retired from the Department of the Navy after 37 years of service serving as an accountant and comptroller.
Steve's community service over the years is extensive and includes serving as Treasurer for the Sulphur Mountain Repeater Association, AYSO Youth Soccer Referee, President of the Hueneme Swimming Association, Treasurer for the Coastal Section with Southern California Swimming, Administrative Referee with Southern California Swimming, a Referee with Southern California Swimming, a high school Swimming Referee, the Treasurer and President for the Channel Islands High School (CIHS) Band Boosters.
Steve believes that our students are future decision makers for our community and the nation, and we must make sure they receive the best possible education with the skills and tools to prepare them for this reality. This learning must develop strong fundamental skills and help students ask the inquisitive questions that will take them down their chosen career path.
(Term 12/10/2020 - 12/10/2024)
Efrain Cazares, Board Member
On July 11, 2017, Mr. Efrain Cazares, Board Clerk, joined the Governing Board of Ocean View School District. Mr. Cazares has completed the Masters in Governance program offered by the California School Boards Association and has attended various trainings and conferences.
Prior to becoming a Board member, Mr. Cazares served as a parent volunteer, as a member of the Tierra Vista School Site Council, the Tierra Vista Parent Faculty Organization, and the District English Learner Advisory Committee. He was also a member of the Obligation Bond Committee for several years.
Mr. Cazares has been employed by the Oxnard Elementary School District as a Site Technology Technician for more than 20 years, and has received several awards in recognition of his work. He is certified in Computer Operations.
14 days ago
The Ocean View School District Governing Board meets the second Tuesday of each month, except for the months of April and July. Special Board meetings can be held on the fourth Tuesday, if necessary. The meetings are held at 4200 Olds Road, Oxnard, California in the District Office Board Room. The meetings start at 6:00 p.m. Board packets are available on the Ocean View School District's website under Governing Board - www.oceanviewsd.org.
Ocean View School District ensures that all students achieve academic success and are prepared to live and learn in a rapidly changing world by providing rigorous and relevant learning experiences and empowering families and staff to work together.
Quality Education for Student Success
OCEAN VIEW SCHOOL DISTRICT CORE VALUES
The Ocean View School District Governing Board, in conjunction with community representatives, parent leaders, faculty, and staff, developed core values listed below to help guide policy development and decision-making throughout the District.
• We believe that each student can learn, will achieve academic success and become a life-long learner.
• We believe in providing educational equity through engaging, rigorous, and relevant Common Core State Standards instruction that meets the unique social, emotional, and linguistic needs of each student.
Culture and Environment
• We believe in promoting and preserving our district-wide family atmosphere of caring and trust among students, families and staff because it is a key aspect of our success.
• We embrace and honor the diversity of backgrounds and assets our students, families and staff bring to the district, and how each is important and contributes to the life-long success of our students.
• We believe in the importance of working together toward common goals, with a sense of teamwork and mutual respect.
• We believe in providing school facilities that are safe, environmentally sustainable and that aesthetically support and promote student learning by using eco-friendly materials and practices throughout the district, and educating students to live an ecologically responsible life as stewards of natural resources.
• We believe in developing the health and wellness of students, families, and staff.
Parents and Community
• We believe in student, family and community involvement by empowering all to be partners in our schools.